Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Bad dates and all... Part one...

If you are like me, you probably been on an awkward date or have had a great date but have turns out that the other person was really that interested. With every encounter I have had, I figure there are a couple things I have learned, or in a couple of cases, been reminded of what not to do:

1) Having a sense of humor helps but know when to use it. I think it is obvious that everyone has some kind of humor but not always have the same kind.
Case in point when it works: I was working in Florida in early 2001 when I was in college. I was heading home from work and was joking with coworkers. A cute woman kept butting in with the conversation. I didn't think much of it at the time until weeks later I saw the same cutie near where I was living at the time. We joked around again and, long story short, she and I dated for over 8 months.
Case in point when it doesn't work: I was on a date where a woman and I met up for a movie then dinner. The ads/previews were about to roll when I jokingly tapped her on the shoulder and sad "Tag, you're it". Sufficed to say, she and I did not have dinner that night.
Long story short: Know your audience when you try to be funny....

2) Be honest, with yourself and her. If you go on a 1st date, and you get a gut feeling it isn't worth a second date, it sometimes isn't. I have had a couple of dates where it was a good time but knew we didn't have the chemistry. On the times that I listened to my gut, I tactfully said that it was fun but there wasn't anything there. On the time or two where I could tell that there wasn't chemistry and I went ahead anyways with a second date, it usually ends up in a debacle. It is important to point out that you got to say something to the other person, tactfully, if you know it will be one date and done kind of situation.

Hope this helps!

Pertante

No comments:

Post a Comment